Mar 06 2017
Read 316 times

Denis Bazhinov

• Administrator
  • Topics: 11
    • View Profile
Ever since watching "Oblivion" (2015 film), I've gotten into M83 - come to find he released a pretty great album recently! What do you guys think of this "Junk"?

Apr 14 2017
Reply #1

Violet

• Topics: 1
    • View Profile
It's been growing on me. I still need to play it more. It's very smooth, mellow, chill. It toys with being a pop album, with some real catchy hooks here and there (and the hooky tracks are the ones I like best, I think), but it never really grabs you and shakes you and makes you pay attention (like most mainstream music). It might not even get stuck in your head. Those could sound like negative qualities but I don't mean it that way. If anything, it's kind of better; one is invited to listen, not coerced. It's just the difference between being a more straightforward pop or rock song, and being more chill. It's pretty cool.

It feels kind of a like a spiritual younger sibling to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories... RAM is the outgoing older sibling, Junk is the quieter, introverted younger sibling. :lol:

Dig "Go!", "Bibi the Dog", "Laser Gun", "Road Blaster"...

I do kind of find myself thinking, with the overall production style, "why does Denis like this?" :P Some of it seems a little more "plastic" than you would normally care for...
Apr 15 2017
Reply #2

Denis Bazhinov

• Administrator
  • Topics: 11
    • View Profile
 :lol:
I'm not great at describing music. But the production is amazing. This is the good-kind of electronic music. lol :up:

Even Do It, Try It grew on me over time. I like that M83 vocals are all pretty mellow yet work well in an upbeat setting somehow, the music is great and M83 seems to do really well with beat rhythm, as well as leading suspense, adding electronic elements I'm not familiar with, and structuring it all together.